Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My one and only

What was two is now one. And really, that's okay.

The ultrasound we had two weeks ago showed two embryos. One looked fine, and one looked a little small and had a rapid heartbeat. Today's scan showed one great-looking embryo (measuring 3 days ahead of schedule) with a good heartbeat, and one embryo that was half the size and didn't have a heartbeat at all. This is now a singleton pregnancy.

We are both sad and relieved. The idea of twins terrified me, and the idea of a selective reduction pained me. At least if I'm not going to have twins, I can be glad the decision was made for me.

The next step is a CVS, which happens (egads) Thursday. I had been advised that a CVS wasn't recommended with twins, though our perinatal clinic apparently does them on twins all the time. Their miscarriage rate is the same (1 in 1,000) with both CVS and amnio, and a CVS happens several weeks earlier. I realized that if this pregnancy isn't going to happen, I'd rather know sooner than later. So Thursday it is.

I seem to have produced a lot of chromosomally problematic embryos. Here's hoping the one that's left is perfectly fine.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well the decision was made for you, and that is what you were hoping for. Best of luck with everything else.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did not have to face that decision, though of course you must be sad that this has happened too.

All the best for the CVS.

Keri said...

Here's hoping for goodness today!

Kim aka Mommy said...

Thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did not have to make that decision. What is meant to be, will be. I am sorry though, I know that it must have been sad, despite the fears you two had of raising twins. Best of luck with the wee one growing!!