Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Countdown

Last week I came home from a super-relaxing yoga class and noticed some spotting. Of course I totally freaked out, even though the amount was small. I've been having menstrual-like cramps throughout this pregnancy, which didn't worry me until I saw the spotting.

I called the doctor's office and was told to monitor the spotting and call if my cramps or spotting worsened. The spotting went away for a bit, but when it came back I called my doctor's office and was able to go in for an ultrasound. (On a Sunday morning -- I am very lucky.)

I was six weeks exactly, and there was some good news: first, I am indeed pregnant; second, the pregnancy is in the uterus, and third, the embryo measured 5 weeks 6 days (the machine has an error rate of plus/minus 4 days), which is perfect. We didn't see a heartbeat, which the doctor said was okay because it was a little early (he said seeing a heartbeat would have been "a bonus"). But seeing that ultrasound was a huge relief. At least now I know what not to expect next Monday, when I have my next appointment.

I have faith this is going to work. I definitely have pregnancy symptoms -- crazy tender breasts, a bit of nausea, fatigue, low energy, crankiness. The spotting is gone, and here's hoping I can remain calm for the next six days and two hours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How awfully worrying for you. Glad that they were able to u/s you so quickly and that the baby is measuring well. I hope you manage to stay calm, though I don't have any tips, and that you get to see that heartbeat at your next appointment and can relax a little.